You’ve probably heard the term arc flash, but you may not know what causes it to happen or what you can do to prevent it.
Recently, EPSCO’s VP of Operations, Phil Haataja, met with Jill James, Chief Safety Officer at Vivid Learning Systems and a former OSHA inspector, to break it all down and discuss the mechanics of an arc flash.
In the following video, Phil and Jill discuss:
- Where an arc flash can happen
- The most common causes
- Why a fault downstream can cause an arc flash at a different location upstream
- Why closing electrical panels covers is so critical
- Why Emergency Response Teams are especially vulnerable and what they can do to protect themselves
- Why arc flash incidents should be termed fatal or non-fatal
- How even a quarter of an amp can cause a fatality
Want more information about EPSCO?